Thursday, October 11, 2012

BARBARELLA


I don't quite remember how old I was when I first saw this movie on cable, but I was old enough to very, very interested in the unparalleled beauty of Jane Fonda in this cult-classic sci-fi flick.

Not only was it a strange and kitschy tale with some classic 60's outfits and visuals, but it was also based on a European graphic novel by writer/artist Jean-Claude Forest.

A lot of people would love to see a remake of this film, but I don't think I'm one of them. Fonda is just a beauty like none other and her portrayal of this character has all the right components of of exactly what this era was about. I don't think it works in today's climate-- but maybe I'm wrong.

If it does get revisited, it's going to take a director of amazing visions and the perfect actress to make it fresh while still retaining some of the spark and that almost accidental brilliance of the original.

As for the piece itself, I drew this entirely for myself and my fascination with Fonda as Barbarella. It's also a slight departure from my normal style in the sense that I went with more of a caricature than I normally do.

No comments:

Post a Comment